Tuesday, July 3, 2007

At the Twilights Last Gleaming


We all get older, and I am no exception. This year is the 39th time I will celebrate the anniversary of my being here. I can think of only one other time I was out of country on my b-day. It was 1990 and I was in Kiev. There is a long story that involves the night before my 22nd birthday. (One of my favorite stories.) I'll save that for another time. This year will be the second time I celebrate out of country.
One of the things about celebrating my B-day is the fact that it happens the day after the Fourth of July. The day America celebrates it's independence. Fourth of July fireworks mean it's the eve of my Birthday. It's kind of like my own personal Christmas Eve for my birth. (Ooohh, that sounds weird. I am not comparing my birth to the Birth of Jesus.) Anyhow I have always felt like my birthday starts on the night of the Fourth of July. America throws a big fireworks celebration to kick it off.
Last week I was talking about how this would be one of the few years that I would not be seeing fireworks for my birthday. It was a somber realization. I think somehow I look forward to those fireworks more than anything else on my birthday. Don't get me wrong, go ahead and send money and gifts if you want, but the fireworks somehow symbolize my b-day and now they will not be there. It's funny, you don't realize how new cultures and environments can effect you, until you encounter those moments of loss. Fireworks is a loss for me.
But wait, this whole last week the "World Cup" for sailing was hosted here in our home town. It was a big deal. The place was packed. It was very important. So last night I had just settled down with a book, when there was a terrorist attack. Or at least that was the first thing that went through my head when I head the loud explosions. (We don't live to far from Scotland) I jumped up as the third or fourth explosion rang out. A fifth one. I bolted to the living room. And what to my wondering eyes should appear? The rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air, gave proof to the night, that my God was still there. He loved me so much that he made sure that I received my birthday present. FIREWORKS!
As we stood there singing the National Anthem and watching some of the most beautiful fireworks I have ever seen, I felt as if it was okay. We are free! My life is good! And those fireworks were for my birthday. Even if they were two days early. Be Blessed!

5 comments:

megan said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SPENCE!!!!!

xoxo
the Rapps

Maureen said...

Awwww... happy birthday, Spence. Wish we could be there to toast you with some Italian spumante, but we will see you in about 5 weeks!

Jenelle said...

Happy late birthday, Spencer. The world is happier because you are here.

All of you Farmers are fireworks.

Jim In Escondido said...

Spence, it great that you had your last birthday! I know I had my last one 6 years ago. Now were both the same age! 39 forever.

Chakos said...

Spencer - What's up brother. Long time huh? Your blog made it me via the Hood family. Sounds like you are doing well indeed. You are alway son some kind of adventure. I am marreid to Tonya, have daughter Zoe 7, son Logan 5 (almost 6). Life is good. Gotta run Take care. Miss you man!