Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Quick don't think...What would you do?


You have just finished a full morning of prayer with friends. As you round the corner heading home, up the hill you see a white car in the middle of the road. The next thing you notice is this older woman half in half out of the car. She is leaning into the car trying to grab something, or pull something...what is she doing? Hold the phone that car is rolling backwards, down the hill. The woman is still trying to do what ever she's doing, but the driver side door hits her, slamming her to the ground, rolling her head over heels. Did the car run her over? What is going on? But wait that car is coming backwards fast with no one driving it. It's moving in your direction!

What do you do? Did you have a chance to look around and see if there were any little Portuguese kids or old ladies walking up the side of the street? Are there any cars behind you? What should you do? Get out of the way and let the car race on down the street out of control, or use your older Peugeot 505 (the little gray tank), to take the hit and stop the white car?

Now I don't know about you but I have these moments when I'm driving along and I wonder "What would I do right now if my brakes went out?" I always figured I'd drag the side of my car along that _______, (you fill in the blank), til it was stopped. So as I watched that little white car zooming down the hill at me, that's the process my brain went thorough. I wonder if I can stop that out of control car by pinching it between my car and the curb.
Here came the car. My brain is saying, "Do it! No don't do it! Should I do it? Yes do it! No! Shut up and STOP THAT CAR!!!" So, I side swiped the little white car with my beloved Peugeot. You know that breaking glass, crunching metal sound? Enough said. The car was stopped. The day was saved. The woman came wobbling down the hill. The neighbors came out to look and I was the...Hero? No I was wondering why I just sacrificed my car for this lady. It really messed our cars up, hers more than mine. Her door was crushed between our cars, opened all the way up, the wrong way. And her back tire was on a funny slant.
The one blessing was that even though my right headlight was smashed, my right front fender scraped up, the two right doors crushed in and the rear right fender scraped up, and a pretty good impact in general was given to the car. Everything still worked. Electric windows went up and down, doors opened and closed and even the headlight still worked. So great. The car looks bad, but it fits in with everyone elses. And I did get a chance to pray for this lady. That's was nice.
So there. That's what I would do with out thinking. Great! I'd mess up my car and get to talk to the police. (Who were really nice.) My insurance guy just looked at me like, "Are you nuts!?!" Yes I probably am. Sorry Bordens, but really glad she is such a good strong car! (Why are cars and ships she's?)
Next week...A pack of wild dogs is running down the street chasing a small child. What do you do? ...Lets hope not. OK don't cross the double yellow line and call us when you get home. Blessings

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man... i love you guys. (Maureen)

Jenelle said...

This was the most entertaining blog post I've read in quite awhile. Only in Portugal do you find cars careening down the hill senza the driver. You are a good man for stopping it with the (mother of all) tanks. I always felt so powerful driving that Borden-mobile.

Will your Portuguese insurance cover it all?

Spence Farmer said...

Not sure. It was my choice to stop her car, so who know. I did run into her, but she was going
backwards down a one way street. Actually she was rolling on the pavement while her car rolled on with out her.

Jenelle said...

Oh dear. Oh dear! I'll pray.