Saturday, September 8, 2007

Stories of Life

So awhile ago I promised you I would try and put the Monkey story on my blog. I'm sorry it took so long but here it is. This dates back to our service day in Vienna, on August the 12th. I will try to capture the essence of the story as told to me by my wife, daughter and one Mr. Troy Cady.
It was a warm, muggy summers day in the city of Vienna and About 300 people from Christian Associates were heading out in my different direction to do service project for ServetheCity, Vienna. My son and I were part of the street performance team which I was heading up while my wife and daughter had been slotted to help clean up and animal shelter.
Their trip started off with a nice long walk to the shelter, a nice long walk in which they proceeded to get really lost. It was a good thing that Eric Folbrect, who was our CAI point man, had set up ways to contact people if we ended up lost or needing advice on any situation. They were finally able to get to the shelter and proceed with the animal shelter clean up.
Now I don't know about y0u, but for some reason, when I hear that someone is working at the animal shelter I figure they will be working with animals. Wrong. With kids in tow they were shown the road around the shelter and were put to work preparing it for re-paving. Hot, hard, dirty, physical work. But being the spiritual giants they are, they just jumped right in and started cleaning with out a word of complaint. (I have no idea if that true. I just thought it sounded good.) Anyhow they did the work that was needed and then were shown around the shelter. What pops into your mind when I say animal shelter? Puppies or kitties? What about tigers or giant chimpanzies? Well if you said dogs and cats you'd be wrong.
So here comes the monkey part. They see the tiger that is only kept from them by chain link fence, then are shown the giant chimpanze. This chimp stands about five feet tall and was once a lab chimp. He looks like a giant monkey on steroids. Not only that but he is very aggressive. As they watch him in his cage he starts swaying back and forth, then suddenly he picks up this boot that is in the enclosure and throws it at the plexiglass. Big scream from the crowd. AAAAHHHH! Then he leaps at the glass but misses and falls into the pit in front of the glass. No one could believe it and they all watched as he scrambled back out of the pit to go watch them from the little hill in the enclosure.
My daughter was really glad there was glass there because he didn't look like a friendly monkey. But now he was acting weird again. Standing at the back of the enclosure he starts hopping up and down getting higher and higher, banging the steel door of his enclosure as he does. Screaming Tarzan like monkey screams. Higher and higher. Then suddenly he launches him self from the back of the enclosure, across the pit right into the glass in front of them. BAM! Just like one of those George of the Jungle, hitting the tree moments and slides down into the pit. Everyone screamed like a girl;)
Now even though chimpzilla was poorly behaved, you have to understand he had not had such a great life, being a scientific experiment chimp and all. So in the end they really felt sad for the poor fellow. And anyhow they had a great story to share with the rest of us that night at the b-b-q. If any of you know Terri Last you should ask her to tell you her pig in the subway story.
All right that's about it. Hope I did the monkey story justice. Be Blessed and watch out for monkeys on steroids.

No comments: