Tuesday, November 27, 2007

James Brown and Cowgirls (Our Story Part 2)


She is 5'5". She has brown hair. She has green/blue eyes. And she is now the mother of my children. (I'm getting ahead of my self) I said she walked in , but to tell you the truth it was more like she, the gals from Texas she was with came rolling into the cafe. You could hear them coming down the hill. If you've never met a group of women from Texas, who have just come back from a James Brown concert, let me tell you this, they make a lot of noise. (In a good way) These girls were dressed to the hilt. Mini skirts, knee high go-go boots an array of hats and scarfs. The works. The welcome party had arrived and I was the new guy. This was going to be a great trip.

Everyone at Doe Bay was so cool. (Doe Bay was the name of the hippie resort) Most of the people were summer employees close to my age. There was Eric the cook/tattoo artist. Bobby the ex-pro golfer. Kerri the tall strong gal from Denver. Sweet gentle Bradly who was just back from Alaska. Tom the handsome Brit. And... Paula. (She's the 5'5", brown haired, green eyed lady) We all hit it off. Hanging out during they're free time. Smoking out, drinking beers and red wine. The days were cool and sunny. Nights were cold, quiet, and filled with new friends.I had not felt this free in along time.

I remember at one point running down the road to a cabin where my Mom was. As I ran I felt as if I was 7 years old again. I wasn't 26 and scared of life. I had a new start.I was hooked. I wasn't going back to New York. What did I have to go back to? Debt, worry, and a failing acting career? That was the package deal that was waiting for me back there. I had run from trouble before. This was a no brainer. I was starting over.

Part of getting to start over is the fact that you get to reinvent yourself. So I shaved the sides of my heads, dyed my hair with henna and bought my self a forest green hemp dress. (It looked like a mid-evil frock thing. Very manly.) I was a new man, or something like that. I had a new look. I had new friends. And that green eyed gal and I were hitting it off. Things were good, but there were some things I didn't know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you wore a frocky dress that matched your lady's eyes! love makes you do stupid things. so I hear.