Friday, September 26, 2008

A Whole Lot of Surprises or Head Lice Anyone?

Oh the joy of surprises. (Gifts in the mail)
And of the shock of surprises. (Bugs on your head)

We almost made it through the second week of school with no events, until we discovered that one of the kids had head lice. We there by promptly started checking all the kids heads at school for lice. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ... you've got to be kidding me, 11, 12...how about me? Check me. No way!
All being said and done more than half the school and some teachers had head lice. So we promptly closed the school til Monday. The good news is that there is an out break of head lice across Portugal right now. (That's what the paper said) Not that a lice out break is good news, but at least it wasn't just us. Lots of nit picking going on right now. I just shaved my head it's much easier to deal with that way.

But that is not what the above picture is all about. That is a little piece of the gift package of LOVE that we just recieved from the Young Adults Team that came over to Serve the City here in Portugal. And it couldn't have come at a better time. See this last week I have been tired and fighting the blues. Sometimes I hit this wall and feel useless, like the darkness around is getting the best of me, getting to heavy. I was sharing some of this at our team meeting yesterday. We've been so busy for so long and I feel like we're paddling up stream a lot. It's good to have a group of people around you who know you and love you. And that's what our team is. But even then you have these days.

So because of lice we have been trapped inside for three day washing everything and on top of that, this morning I sent Paula to Philidelphia (for the weekend) to pick up the school books for CSA. So i'm just feeling tired and blue, when the door buzzer rang unexpectedly. Who could that be? I don't want to see anyone and my house is a mess. The postman? What's he doing here?
SURPRISE! Three packages from the good ol' US of A. Three package from the people who came here to work with us. No way! Cool! Look kids, letter's, books, candy, Halloween Oreos, STARBUCK!, Tapitio, games and more. I wish P was here to get to open this with us.

And then they came. The chills. The tight chest and tears. Stress welling up and being released. The feeling of love. Memories, faces and more thoughts. Am I this stressed out. My kids faces so excited to get these little gift. Tootsie Rolls. Little round chocolate like things that don't taste anything like chocolate and are so yummy. My Daughters face filled with joy as we pull out the third bag of Tootsie Rolls. My son saying can we play the game now, oh no way it's multi-player. Oh cool all the books. And My heart might pop. How can such a little bit be so hugh?

I am sure that some one was praying for me today, after yesterdays team meeting and I know that the package was sent way before yesterday, but I believe that God answered today's prayers when that package was mailed on the 19th of Sept., because I needed it today. Thanks you guys and gals. It feels good to be loved and shead a few tears in the process. I am Blessed, We are Blessed, you Be Blessed too.

6 comments:

lisa said...

tears and tootsie rolls are good things.

btw, the best thing I ever discovered for getting nits our of girls hair (since they don't want to shave their heads) is to rinse with 1 part vinegar and 10 parts water. this breaks down the natural glue that keeps the nits attached to hair so that the little nit combs can actually pull them out. and those metal combs with the spiral on the teeth are best, aren't they?

i would comb hair, wipe the comb on a white kleenex so I could see the nits coming out and keep doing it till none were there.

then do it again in a 2 or 3 days and then again and then by the third round like that, they should be gone.

happy combing!

Spence Farmer said...

Yes they are, but to many tootsies hurts your stomach.

Boys with long hair don't want to shave theri heads either. Lots of hair combing going on here. Thanks for the advice. I am hopeful that this will do it.

Anonymous said...

WOW, all I can say is that I am so humbled by what you and your family are doing. With God's help, you have opened a SCHOOL!!! Amazing! I feel so proud of you.

Thanks for your willingness and your transparency. "Keep on keeping on!" There are so many friends here who are cheering you on, and we ARE blessed because of you.

Love to you all,
Cindy W

Spence Farmer said...

Cindy, it's 4:00 am and for some reason I woke up. I figured I might as well get up and do something in stead of lying in bed and I found your comment. Isn't God amazing? Thank you so much for those work of encouragement. They strengthen my soul. You have blessed ME. Love you Weir's so much.

Whitney said...

Wow, I'm so excited about the school!!!

Oh gosh, I'm so glad I'm not in Portugal right now! I HATE lice!!

That's so sweet that you got that package! I'm glad that you guys were able to get so much happiness out of it =)

Hope you all are doing well

david_dvdson said...

hey whitney, where in portugal are you?im also now, and i also hate head lice. my friend got one when we were little, my mom didnt let me go out the house for we might get it too. :(