Friday, June 15, 2007

It's all about the people


I am the worst at remembering birthday's, anniversaries, etc. Every year my buddy Joel sends me a greeting in one form or another on my birthday. So you would think that I would remember his birthday after 17 years of birthday wishes from him, but alas I am a flake.
This year I remembered. There is something about being so far removed from all the familiar. It changes your perspective about things.
What is important in life? It's not my money, or success, or even my level of comfort. It is people. People like Joel who are there for you. Year after year. Even when you let them down. People who when you pick up the phone after not having talked for weeks, sometimes months, are there for you, just as if no time has passed at all.
The world is so big and yet growing smaller everyday. My community, my people, those who I call friends are spread around the globe and the more I understand what it is that I am doing here on earth, the more I value them. Only took me 38 years to get a clue. So...
Happy Birthday Joel. You stood by me when I was down and I will always stand with you. I pray that today you are blessed, beyond what you could hope for. You are a great man, a wonderful husband and father, and one of the best people a guy could ever hope to have as a friend. It is my privilege to be your friend. Wish we could be there celebrating your birthday today. Be Blessed. Spence

1 comment:

Whitney said...

Hey Spence, how are the plans for Serve the City going?
Say hi to your family and dog for me =)