Thursday, May 17, 2007

Unexpected cool day

Yesterday was great. My friend Sophia took about 500 pics of me to send to this guy who has a t-shirt and jean ad he's scouting for. Anyhow, after driving all over the mountains and beaches taking pictures of me, the kids and I went to her house .We lunched with her and Nuno, her boyfriend.They have a lovely small, traditional style house out in one of the areas that really looks like Europe.
When I moved over here I expected all these small Europe Postcard streets. With little old ladies walking around with bundles of sticks on their backs, and little old men in wagons pulled by donkeys. (OK maybe that's an exaggeration). You probably can still find them somewhere in the country.But here, in Estoril, where we live,if you didn't see an Portugese, you'd think we lived near Carlsbad. It looks so similar to San Diego around here.
Out at Nuno and Sophias place it felt traditional. They live on the other side of Sintra mountain. There were small streets and older buildings. Very Old World. Very inconvenient. Very postcard Europe.We had a wonderful afternoon with them. They are great people. The kids got to go swimming in an old cement water storage thing that is right in front of their house. I think it's mountain spring water, because it was cold. They have a lot of little mountain springs around here.
So it was a great day. We were deepening our friendship with Nuno and Sophia. We skipped language school. We had a hot homemade lunch. And I got a whole bunch of pictures of ME:0

Blessings
Spence

No comments: