Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I Feel Like Cinderella


I am working on living a simpler way of life. Chuck Swindol put me up to it. He wrote this nice little book called... (what is the name of that book? I'll go look at it and find out...Got it!) It's called "Intimacy with the Almighty" Cool title! He talks about four things he did to find a greater Intimacy with God. They go in this order;
1. Simplify, 2. Silence, 3. Solitude, 4.Surrender. (I could go into all the details but I won't)

So I read the little book again, (it's like the third or fourth time I've read it) and I looked around the house and said to myself, "Self this place is a mess, because it to messy. It's to messy because it's cluttered with stuff! Self, we need to simplify." So that's what I've been doing. Getting simpler. It is bringing a lot more peace to my life. Simple peace.

That was right after Easter. Then this week I started running. Lately God has been encouraging me to get healthier. Now I have never been an exercise freak, but I knew I should be exercising more than I was. The thing was that I didn't do it. I kept ignoring the "Why don't you start getting healthier?" feeling I was getting. I would say to myself (and God in the process) I'm working up to it. I'll do it soon. (Wink) So what does God do? He ups me by one. He has Derek Dempsey buy some Nike shoes in the States. Derek loves the shoes and brings them home. When he gets them here they don't fit any more. (They fit perfect in the states he said) He tries to give them to a few people, but no luck. So what the heck, see if they fit me. (Derek is 6' 4" and wears a size 11 1/2) I figure no way they're going to fit. I put them on. Perfect fit. It's like being Cinderella except there isn't a Fairy Godmother, but there is a God Father. (I'll make you an offer you can't refuse) SO...I am now running 1.8 mile in the mornings. Who would have guessed.

Three things I must keep reminding myself as I do this...

1.I want a simpler life, I like a clean house, so I have to put the work into doing it til it is a habit.

2. I want to be healthier, I want to live, so I have to push through the pain til it gets easier.

3. I want to respond positively to God, because He loves me and it blesses me greatly.

Looking around I see that my kitchen needs to be cleaned and the laundry folded. My legs are sore and shaky. And God is a very patient Father. Be Blessed and push on with the hard stuff.

5 comments:

Whitney said...

That's funny about the shoes.
That book sounds good!

Beth said...

Just thought I should let you know I was encouraged by your thoughts, especially why we should respond positively to God.

Good Luck with your new habits.

Spence Farmer said...

Whitney, it is a good book. Of course I needed to read it a few times before I was ready to get it. What ever, I'm not even 40 yet;)

Spence Farmer said...

Thanks Beth:) I can use all the prayer and luck I can get. Discipline is not a strong suit. But He does love me so...I'll just keep doing my best. Hope we see you this summer.

Anonymous said...

I hope you're running on that esplenade, mister!