Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Come Like Little Children


Carey invited us to go the the beach with some kids from Aldia SOS today. Aldia SOS is one of the 2 orphanages we did restoration on last summer. I picked the kids up from school, ran home, grabbed some beach wear and headed out. (It seems like it's been raining for the last 3 weeks. Quit rolling your eyes all you folks in Northern Europe.)
One of the funny things about going to the beach with Noah is that he puts his wetsuit on before we leave the house. Then he's ready to hit the water as soon as he gets there. (The water here is very cold. )One of the draw backs of the "wear your wetsuit to the beach system" is that you also have to wear the thing home. (But that's another story)
So we buzz over to Carcavelos Beach to meet up with the Uhlers. (At least three of the Uhlers) Noah immediately hits the water and i sit there watching him. As he splashed around in the rolling white wash, my mind drifted into thought. The sun warm on my face. The wind just cool enough. Then a gentle thought, a small voice maybe. This is how the Spirit spoke to my heart. "Look at your son body slamming the waves. He doesn't even care if he doing anything special. He just likes to be in the water, without needing to accomplish anything. He doesn't need to learn to surf, or body board, or anything. He's just there with out shame, or expectation, enjoying the power of the sea. Do that with me."
It was a very simple, but profound lesson. Here are the steps;
1. Before you leave prepare like you are going to get wet.
2. When you arrive, don't hesitate.
3. The joy is in the experience of the moment, not in a goal or project.
4. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks, just get in there and get wet.
Children really are the best way to understand God. Get wet and Be Blessed
(By the way Noah is enjoying doing art on windows paint. He did the heart.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Way to go, you guys. That's great that Luke is tracking with the language. So glad to hear it.

Anonymous said...

Oops. That was for another blog I had open! Ha! Ha! I had two comment boxes open cuz I wanted to commen on this entry too. Very funny...

Um...What I wanted to say was: "Thanks for sharing this, Spenc. It really blessed me."

Kiezel said...

Yo, I did not know how to e-mail you, so I jsut thought I would say hi. Eddy and I wanted to contact you often while we were traveling, but did not have a way to contact you. So love to you. I am Lüdenscheide now, and Eddy was in Berlin last I heard. Love to you and the family, e-m,ail me at leathersandal @ hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

ahhh...isn't this true about being in God's presence, too? I like it. Missing you guys...see you in Portugal in July!

Whitney said...

ummm it's May... where's Part 7 of your story?
=P

Next week I'll be putting posts up about the missions trip I was just on. You should check it out =)

Hope you guys are doing well. Say hi to the rest of the family for me,
Whitney